Taking care of yourself helps us take care of other people. One of the easiest ways to prevent the spread of bacteria is washing your hands.
To be aware of how easy it is to spread things like bacteria, viruses, and diseases, and become more knowledgeable about preventative measures
- Fine glitter
- Activity Instruction Sheet (optional) click to download
- Mix some lotion and glitter together
- Give some of this mixture to one participant
- Have this participant shake hands with someone else
- Only if you have the glitter can you shake hands with others
- Stop once everybody has glitter on their hands
- Compare the amount of glitter on everybody’s hands
- Imagine the glitter is bacteria. How does this make you feel?
- What is a way YOU can prevent “glitter” from spreading? Why is it important? Who does this benefit?
- Think about the last time you were sick. How did you feel? Would you want others to feel the same way?
- Come up with a song together to help participants remember to wash their hands and how long to wash their hands.
If time and space permits, have kids wash their hands if there is a sink area, use hand wipes, or use hand sanitizer to help establish a routine of washing their hands.
Kristin Aoki & Annie Chu