HeartMath Same or Different
At this station you’ll try out an exercise that compares what is the same and what is different between you and another person.
Learn what is common and what is different. Build empathy and tolerance.
- Pick up a Venn diagram handout from the table.
- Pair up.
- Have each participant reflect for one minute on what are 3-4 things he/she appreciates and what are 3-4 things he/she stresses over.
- Ask one player from each pair to be the scribe. Using a Venn diagram handout, write down each other’s names in the upper boxes. Then write down “Same Us” in the middle part, “Different You” in the left part and “Different Me” in the right part.
- The scribe writes in his partner’s answers and then adds his own.
- Discuss together the results. If time permits, choose another partner to share.
- Share with the larger group your perceptions and conclusions if time.
- What makes us different than one another? What makes us the same?
- What unites us as humans? What separates us as humans?
- Why do differences lead to conflict?
After the exercise, invite participants to write down conclusions from this exercise.
Jeff Goelitz, HeartMath Institute