- Thread or string
- Activity Instruction Sheet (optional) click to download
Making Marionette (15 minutes to make, or 5 minutes if pre-cut)
- From your cardboard cut out one large circle (puppet), about 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) wide, and two smaller circles (feet), about 1.5 inches (3.75 centimeters) wide.
- Cut out a strip of cardboard for the handle.
- Decorate your puppet.
- Cut a short length of thread, about 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) and tape one end to the back of puppet and the other end to one of the feet. Do the same for the other leg.
- Cut two long pieces of thread, about 15 inches (37.5 centimeters), and tape to the back of the puppet, then tape the other ends to the cardboard handle.
- Pick a place to hold show.
- Use one of the following prompts to build your show between you and at least one other person:
- One of your friends, who is clearly hungry, tells you they don’t feel like having lunch today, but you know sometimes they struggle with having enough money to pay for lunch.
- Your parents just finished going grocery shopping and on your walk back home, you see a struggling person with a sign that reads “Don’t have money, anything helps, haven’t eaten in 3 days.”
- Choose a situation of your own around responding to hunger
- Keep the show to around 2 minutes.
- How does it make you feel to see someone struggling for food? How did you feel after helping them?
- There are many reasons people make different decisions. What do you think are some of the reasons people share food and some people don’t?
- How can you personally make a change towards alleviating world hunger in your life?
Find an organization, like a soup kitchen, food bank, etc., to personally help reach those that struggle to acquire meals. Remember to ask and go with an adult.