In this activity, you will learn about where sea creatures live within the ocean and think about how you might feel if you were a sea creature living within different zones.
Learn about the different sea levels and the creatures that live in them.
- Cut out a fish from the handout and decorate it. This is your special fish! Unlike the other creatures in the sea who mainly stay in their ocean zone, your special fish can move around to any zone.
- Notice and compare how close the sea creatures are in the daylight, twilight, and midnight zones.
- If you were a fish living in the ocean, which zone would you like to be a part of right now? Take turns placing your fish in that zone on one of the open spots. As you place your fish, share why you chose that zone.
- Look at where everyone placed their fish. Sometimes the people you are interacting with happen to be in different zones. How can you see, based on a person’s body language, that they may want to be in a different zone?
- Sea creatures have to stay in their zones because that is the only place they can survive. But since you are a special fish, you can choose where you want to be at any time. Would you want to always stay in the zone you chose? Or would you like to switch zones depending on the time and place? Why?
Watch Finding Nemo or Finding Dory to learn more about the different ocean zones.
Mia Skaggs & Annie Chu