At Six Seconds, we say, "emotions drive people, and people drive performance." Here's a quick activity to consider if and how that works.
Increasing awareness of how emotions affect our goals
- Write one of your goals on the large paper. (This could be a personal goal or a team/shared goal)
- Draw a feeling card at random. Post the card near your goal, and as you do so, imagine feeling that feeling in relation to the goal.
- Write a few words: How might this feeling support you reaching the goal? How might this feeling hold you back from reaching the goal?
- To what degree will feelings affect the goal(s)?
- What are some feelings you currently have about this goal, and what are some feelings you want to have?
- If you want or need different feelings that you have now..how could you get those feelings?
- If you have the feelings now… how could you sustain and strengthen those?
- In this exercise, when you drew a card, how did you feel? What did you do with that feeling?
- An important skill in emotional intelligence is Navigating Emotions. Life happens, sometimes in unexpected ways. Emotions arise. Then what?
- What did you learn in this exercise that will help you handle the emotional challenges of life?
Patty Freedman & Joshua Freedman