Match the Message
At this station you’ll match the “messages” and “signals” of each emotion with a feeling. Every feeling has a signal and a message that it wants to share with us.
Understanding that emotions have good intentions and want to be helpful. They have signals to get our attention and also important messages they want to give us.
- Pick up a Match the Message handout from the table, and cut out the “messages” and “signals” from the sheet.
- Using glue stick, paste the “messages” and “signals” into the spaces attached to the feeling words. Alternatively, If glue and scissors are not available, you can write in the message or draw lines between the two sheets.
- Review the feeling words with the group to ensure that each feeling was understood.
- What surprised you when doing this?
- What type of situations might these different feelings show up? Why?
- What difference does it make to know the messages of each feeling?
Invite participants to write a reflection of some experiences they had feeling different emotions and how knowing the messages of the feelings might have made the situation or their responses different.
Manuela Berger, www.feelingmagnets.com