Outdoor Maker’s Station
The outdoor is a perfect place to become aware of the beauty all around. But we have to learn to slow down in order to really see the beauty. Once we realized beauty, we can also make art with it! What helps us appreciate the little things that are around us every day?
Teach kids different tools for becoming aware of their outside surroundings. Then, they will have fun creating art with nature.
- Outdoor area
- Timer for 5-10 minutes
- Activity Instruction Sheet (optional) click to download
- Choose a favorite spot to go outdoors. It can be a city park, a meadow, or a backyard – anywhere that you have access to the outdoors
- Lead a simple breathing + awareness exercise. First, close your eyes + take three deep breaths, filling up the belly and emptying the lungs completely. Then, take a moment to take turns focusing on what you hear, feel, and smell. First, focus on the sounds you hear, then the sensations you feel, and finally the smells you smell.
- After you finish this awareness exercise, maintain your silence as you walk around and appreciate the fresh air and nature around you.
- As you walk, collect 5-10 pieces of nature that feel beautiful to you. They can be sticks, rocks, leaves, pieces of grass, berries, flowers…anything that comes from nature.
- Come back 5-10 minutes to make a mandala with all the beautiful pieces of nature everyone has found. Tke a picture of your mandala and share it with everyone on Facebook or Instagram!
- How did being outside make you feel?
- What did you notice more during your awareness exercises — the sounds, the sensations, or the smells?
- What would you like to do in nature the next time you go outside?
Using your favorite nature objects, write a descriptive story or poem with the objects as characters.