Traffic Light from Peppy Pals
- Colored pens/pencils/crayons
- Activity Instruction Sheet (optional) click to download
Draw a traffic light and color three lights, one red, one yellow and one green.
The colors are used as symbols for knowing when to calm down:
Red = “stop” and calm down.
Yellow = I need to think before I act and…
Green = Now that I’ve calmed down and thought, I will try my best solution
Can you think of a situation when you feel you need to turn on the “stop” light? For example, a friend might have teased you that made you really angry.
- If they are in the “red zone,” how could someone calm down to yellow? How could they get all the way to green?
- Once you’ve calmed down, how can you handle the situation? EG would you tell a grownup what just happened, start a fight with the person teasing you?
- What would be the consequences of your action?
- Once you’ve thought of a good solution, you’re in the green zone. Being in the green zone doesn’t always mean you will get what you want. How does that feel?
Write about what might happen if people had a little “traffic light watch” they could wear that would remind them about when it’s time to slow down or stop.