There is a light inside every person. Sometimes it can be challenging to share that light with everyone; maybe we feel shy and hide our special qualities or we are not given opportunities to shine brightly because of our gender or background. In this activity, kids focus on something that makes them special and what they want the whole world to know.
For children to identify their unique gifts and to share it on their Lantern.
- Activity Instruction Sheet (optional) click to download
- Before starting, ask the children to imagine a candle lit in the darkness. Think about how brightly it shines, illuminating the room. People can be like that, sharing their goodness inside. What is something they would like to share about themselves?
- Cut off the top of the paper, about 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) and set aside to be used as a lantern handle.
- Fold the colored paper in half, vertically.
- Cut a slit, about 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) long, but stopping 2 inches (5 centimeters) from the bottom of the paper. Continue making slits, about 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) apart until you are about 2 inches (5 centimeters) from the other edge of the paper.
- Unfold the paper and write “I want to shine _________________ into the world.” along the bottom border of the paper.
- Tape the short sides of the paper to make a circle (the ends that are 2 inches (5 centimeters) wide) together.
- What does it mean to shine our light?
- How can we practice shining our light with others?
- How can we encourage others to feel safe to shine their light?
- What would it feel like to be in a classroom or family where everyone what shining brightly?